My first international tour- India to UK- 2

This was the Istanbul International Airport, and my flight was already late by one and a half hours to reach here. There was only 2 hours gap given for the change of the flight here and it was really a long time taking process here, due to tight security, where your jacket, all pockets, belts, even your shoes were checked separately. And the way was too long and zig-zag from the arrival to departure. I still remember that I was with the last 10- 15 passengers here, who were there in the earlier flight. We were all running from different ways at times, just to reach to the next flight some how.

Then we had to go back to get the boarding pass again from here, this one seemed to be ridiculous step, but we all did what was told.

After having security checked at three places, finally have to open the laptop and show them, I do not know the purpose but it was a part of checking and then the bags were emptied and checked again. Thankfully this flight was delayed for us, otherwise we all would have missed it for sure. The checking I do not mind, they might be having such instructions, but people like me and some others with me were somehow not treated normally, since we were not able to understand their language, and they were being quite rude, then finally another security person came and explained things to us in English and we could follow the instructions and communicate to him, what was the problem with us, then he accompanied us till the last checking point and we could catch the flight.

Later we found that the flight which had already given the last call was further delayed since our luggage was not loaded. I got my window seat again, but this time I was sad, I didn’t know why but there was something going on which made me dull. Though I got some energy that I could catch the flight and now only three hours were left to reach the final destination.

But it was already dark and there were many bags getting loaded in the flight I was again and again getting the thought, what if my bag remains here, then what shall I do?? Finally a bag like mine came, but I could not be sure of it since it was already somewhat dark outside and the lights were on and there was some focus on my window.

The moment it was getting loaded, I just saw a security person coming and asking that bag to get back, now I just wanted to go and ask the crew member standing near the gate, but the moment I stood up they just closed the gates of the plane. Then I thought if I go and ask them about the bag, whether or not it was mine, then they will leave me here and go. I had no option to contact any one now, so just kept mum and set back.

The flight just started and I just kept praying for my bag to reach with me only, but somewhere the fact was roaming around me that wherever I go for the first time and I am a bit excited, some adventure is bound to happen.

While thinking all these things the flight took off. The sun was about to set and my fear was increasing, what will happen next, whether I will get my bag there or not.

We were just running after the sun, it seemed. This time the journey was harder than the last one, because I was already tired, the harsh treatment and strict security raised doubts about my bag, since I had some bangles and Odhani (Our traditional wear with some decoration over it), which was strange for these guys, even if they open my bag they will not understand what it is :(.

Now there was all dark down there, but map in the flight TV was only thing which was giving me company now. This time the journey was harder also because I was not able to see anything outside. So this map was telling me the time, distance, time left, height and speed of the flight.

It was also showing the map like this. Anyways some how the journey was going on some how. Now I got another tension, that was what will be the reaction of my hubby 😦 since he was angry with me since last couple of days, and it was the first time we were going to be together after our marriage. Though I was sure that once I go and stay with him I will make sure that both of us are happy and comfortable with each other ;).

Finally I could see the river Thames down there and the city of London. I was excited to see him, in front of me, after so long. By the way we have crossed Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Hungary, Austria, Germany, Belgium, France and the North Sea before reaching to the UK finally.

Friends!! this is time to enjoy the night view of the city of London. :).

London Eye was visible from here. (the red round thing along the coast of the river). On the other side in front of the London Eye, there is Bunkingham Palace visible with Yellow Lights.

The bridges visible in the pic from north to south are Waterloo Bridge, Hungerford Bridge and Golden Jubilee Bridge just north to the London Eye and in its just south it is the Westminster Bridge which on the other side ends in front of the Houses of Parliament of the UK and Big Ben i.e. the London’s iconic national timepiece (its a big watch tower). By the way the Palace of Westminster is the iconic home of the UK Parliament, and the House of Commons and the House of Lords and in the north and south of it. Then comes the Lambeth Bridge. The last bridge visible here is the Vauxhall Bridge. And the round thing in the South-East corner is the Oval, International Cricket Ground.

And the flight landed at the Heathrow Airport. But the journey is yet not over.

This was time to collect the bags, I was waiting with all my fellow passengers near the baggage carousel, everyone got their bags but I was still standing there and it was no where visible, there were four baggage carousels and I have now visited all of them to look for my bag, all my cloths and daily use things were there and that as missing, I was just worried, what to do and what has happened, there was none to talk to, nor I could call to my parents, since my sim was not working here, nor I was able to talk to my hubby (who was waiting there for more than two hours by now, since my flight was late and then the time it took to search for the bag.

Finally I saw a person on the inquiry desk, who was earlier roaming around, but I did not know. Anyways, I told him everything, he gave me a form to fill all the details about me, my stay here and about the color and size of the bag and the things inside and told that he will give me a call next day after discussing with the Turkish airport authorities. I was feeling so bad that I came here to start a new life and there too I put him in the trouble at the first place.

It was already midnight by now. I came out just with a hand bag and my hubby was tensed to see me, though he could guess the reason for delay, therefore just tried to comfort me and took the form from my hand and asked me to call to (both my and his) parents to let them know, I reached safely and with him now. It was so sweet of him.

Now we were in the tube (underground train) from Heathrow, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that Delhi and Jaipur metros are better and specious than this. (it was because people always say that everything is better in the western countries, but it was wrong in this respect atleast).

Anyways, now I was with the person I loved and dreamed to be and who was my life-partner now. Though I was working in India and wanted to continue with TISS, Mumbai (my university) as there were some good opportunities I got, with the projects I liked to work. But I let it go to be with him and now I was to start a new life here from the scratch.

This was the end of one journey and the beginning of the other. It was really tough to get my bag, the call we got the next day and they said that because my Odhani (traditional dress) and bangles were covered with the news paper (it was to keep them safe), therefore they suspected my bag and it went through the security process two three times, they asked me for the things inside it thrice on call and then finally I could get it on the 8th day, by now I had to buy new cloths to wear there :(. But I really enjoyed wearing his dresses 😉 during this week :P.

Friends!! life gives us surprises all the times, at times it is good which make us happy and at times it is bad which make us unpleasant. But all of it goes on as part of life and we have to snatch moments from all of this to enjoy our life at the fullest. There is no time when we are totally happy and content if we keep waiting for this.

So enjoy your life with whatsoever you have right now and do not run in the rat race while waiting for the time to come so that you can enjoy, otherwise it will never come. Enjoy everything small to big in your life.

Opinions are personal— Rachana Dhaka


Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s